Do all sweet peas smell?
Table of Contents
- Do all sweet peas smell?
- Why do my sweet peas not smell?
- What are the most fragrant sweet peas?
- Is sweet pea a floral scent?
- What are the best sweet pea seeds?
- Should you nick sweet pea seeds?
- What scent is sweet pea?
- What is the scent of sweet pea?
- What month do sweet peas flower?
- When should I buy sweet pea seeds?
- What kind of sweet peas have the most perfume?
- What kind of flowers do sweet peas have?
- Why are my sweet peas not smelling good?
- Which is the strongest sweet pea in the world?
Do all sweet peas smell?
But it is important to remember the Latin name - Lathyrus odoratus. Sweet peas should smell. Half the point of growing sweet peas is to cut them for the house; they should fill a room with an almost painful olfactory inarticulateness. But most sweet peas smell of nothing.
Why do my sweet peas not smell?
A: Sweet pea fragrance varies among the varieties. Some of the modern hybrids aren't as fragrant as the older and Spencer varieties. Rain, high temperatures, time of day and the age of the flower also influence the fragrance.
What are the most fragrant sweet peas?
Most Fragrant Sweet Peas
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Flora Norton' (Sweet Pea) ...
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Gwendoline' (Sweet Pea) ...
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Lady Grisel Hamilton' (Sweet Pea) ...
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Matucana' (Sweet Pea) ...
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Mollie Rilstone' (Sweet Pea) ...
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Painted Lady' (Sweet Pea)
Is sweet pea a floral scent?
Today, sweet pea is widely regarded as one of the best smelling flowers. The Sweet Pea was a popular plant in the late-Victorian period, where it was coveted for its diversity of color and fragrance. The best time to gather sweet pea flowers is in the morning when they are covered in dew– this will enhance their scent.
What are the best sweet pea seeds?
10 sweet peas to grow
- Lathyrus odoratus 'St George'
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Promiscuity'
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Prima Ballerina'
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Percy Thrower.
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Lipstick'
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Pandemonium'
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Geranium Pink'
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Hi Scent'
Should you nick sweet pea seeds?
You may choose to nick your sweet pea seeds before planting. Nicking the seed with a nail clipper breaks the outer coat of the seed so it can absorb water immediately. By doing this a larger percentage of your seeds will germinate and they will sprout a few days earlier.
What scent is sweet pea?
It is sweet as the name suggests, and has spicy and green elements, make is why it also feels very balanced – not cloying or heady or indolic like lilies, for example. Both Arctander and Poucher mention orange blossom, hyacinth and rose to describe the scent of sweet pea flowers.
What is the scent of sweet pea?
Many a gardener's favourite flower, the sweet pea: obligingly abundant, and so wonderfully fragrant. It's certainly possible to capture the airy sweetness of sweet peas, or Lathyrus odoratus – which naturally smell somewhere between orange blossom and hyacinth, with a hint of rose – through a process of extraction.
What month do sweet peas flower?
We have teepees and arches covered with sweet peas in flower during June and July – they fill the garden, house and life with scent and colour. They are the stars of our summer season. The range of sweet peas to enjoy is huge, from rich, saturated blues and purples, to pastel shades and luscious bi-colours.
When should I buy sweet pea seeds?
Seed can be collected in early September. Leave the seed pods on the plants until they have turned a paper bag colour. Collect them on a dry day, remove them from their pods and store in paper bags in a dry place until you a ready to sow them.
What kind of sweet peas have the most perfume?
Many sweet peas are fragrant, but certain cultivars have a particularly intense, rich perfume. Traditionally, it’s the heirloom Grandiflora-type sweet peas that have been grown for fragrance, but don’t discount the Spencer and modern Grandiflora-types.
What kind of flowers do sweet peas have?
The first sweet peas had relatively small flowers but possessed a powerful and attractive fragrance. The peas themselves are inedible and even toxic if ingested in quantity.
Why are my sweet peas not smelling good?
Heat, cold, rain and even the age of the bloom will all affect the amount of scent you can expect from your sweet peas. How Long Will Sweet Peas Hold Remain Fragrant in the Vase?
Which is the strongest sweet pea in the world?
Deservedly popular, it is reported to be the strongest scented Sweet Pea in the world and is more heat tolerant than most. This Grandiflora Sweet Pea is a lovely addition to the garden and perfect for containers where the brilliance of its blossoms and their terrific fragrance can be enjoyed.